Organic Alfalfa Sprouting Seeds
Our Organic Alfalfa Leaf Sprouting Seeds (Medicago sativa) are grown in accordance with the National Organic Program and Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International (QAI). Alfalfa is a hearty mild, leafy green with a neutral flavor that makes a perfect lettuce substitute, and is also great in juice. Alfalfa is a fast growing plant, and if you were to examine it after only a week’s time, you would already notice the green leaves starting. Even at this early stage, Alfalfa provides the full flavor of the fully grown adult vegetable. In the case of alfalfa, the adult plant’s leaves are just a little bit too chewy to be considered delectable by people, but its baby leaves, the sprouts, are perfectly scrumptious.
Starwest Certified Organic and Kosher Certified Sprouting Seeds provide a fresh, natural way to supplement one’s diet, and are an easy and convenient way to get the nutrients one’s body needs. Any of our flavorful Sprouting Seeds can be used in a variety of recipes, including stir-fry, salads, sandwiches and soups.
Reasons to grow your own sprouts
- Nutrition: Sprouts are baby vegetables in their prime. They contain nutrients including proteins, minerals, enzymes, Vitamins A, C, K, and B6, calcium, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese, protein, thiamin, pantothenic acid, calcium, and iron. Alfalfa sprouts contain antioxidants and phytoestrogens. Contains more protein than lettuce and spinach.
- Freshness: Eaten when picked. No loss of nutrients sitting on the produce shelf. Great fresh, flavors!
- Variety: You can grow more varieties of salad greens than are available in the supermarket .Your salads will come alive with flavor!
- Digestibility: As baby plants, their delicate cell walls easily release elemental nutrients. Abundant enzymes make them easier to digest.
- Space & Time: It’s Easy! Just add water! No soil. No bugs. No green thumb required. No special lights. One pound grows in only 9 inches of space.
- Economics: Seeds can multiply many times their weight and you can save money by growing your own rather than buying the grown sprouts. Instead of 1 head of lettuce, you get 1,000's of micro-lettuce leaves. You can have a delicious 100% Organic Salad 52 weeks a year for only pennies per pound!
See our Sprouting Accessories to help you grow your own sprouts!