Top 4 Ashwagandha Benefits for Men
Posted by Starwest Botanicals Content Team | Medically Reviewed by Daniel Powers, MS on 07-12-2022
Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub with a centuries-long history of holistic medical usage in the Indian Ayurveda tradition. Today, organic ashwagandha is enjoying newfound popularity in the west, and for good reason.
This ancient herb may have a positive effect on energy levels, stress levels, and overall health. From reducing inflammation to increasing strength, there are a variety of advantages of ashwagandha, including plenty of ashwagandha benefits for men.
This guide investigates the best uses for ashwagandha to start feeling your very best today.
How To Consume Ashwagandha
Before diving into the health benefits of ashwagandha, it’s worth taking a short detour to learn more about how to use ashwagandha powder and its various forms. Cultivated in southeastern Asia and Africa, both the roots and leaves of the ashwagandha plants are used for wellness purposes
Generally, it’s recommended to take a daily dose of 500 to 600 mg of the herb.
The most common ways to enjoy ashwagandha today include:
- Capsules and tablets – Dried and reduced to a powder form, an ashwagandha capsule or tablet can be created for easy consumption at home or on the go. Typically, these capsules and tablets are pre-measured and labeled, allowing you to choose the ideal amount for your needs.
- Extracts – Curious to try ashwagandha in liquid form? Ashwagandha extract can be added to food or beverages or ingested directly, depending on your preference. They also boast fast absorption rates, allowing you to begin enjoying the benefits of ashwagandha even faster. Bottles of ashwagandha extract should be stored in a dim, cool area away from direct sunlight.
- Powder – If you’re interested in measuring out your own quantities or mixing up ashwagandha in various juices and health beverages, powder may be your preferred form of consumption. Use a kitchen scale to measure out your ashwagandha powder and be sure to stir well into a warm liquid.
You can also purchase a whole or cut ashwagandha root. This is primarily used for ashwagandha tea brewing purposes.
Additionally, consider when you plan to consume ashwagandha. Some people prefer ashwagandha with their morning meal, while others like to take it before going to sleep, depending on the intended use and desired effects.
Our advice? Experiment with what works best for you.
Benefits of Ashwagandha for Men
Whether you’re looking to keep your body in tip-top shape or manage elevated stress levels, ashwagandha may prove a reliable asset to men looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We’ll explore four ashwagandha male benefits below.
#1 Ashwagandha May Help Boost Strength and Endurance
Looking to push forward in the gym, work past your personal best, or hit your peak physique? Many men interested in maximizing their workouts look to supplements and unnatural health products to enhance their muscle strength and endurance, but ashwagandha offers an all-natural way to make every workout count.
Consider the following ways ashwagandha could help you reach your fitness goals:
- Increased muscle mass – It takes a healthy diet and consistent training to build muscle mass, but some studies have suggested that ashwagandha may help promote muscle growth and increased strength. That could mean greater gains and more consistent improvements.
- Fat burning – Working to maintain a healthy weight? Ashwagandha may encourage fat burning and can help you push through long workouts. While this potent herb won’t burn fat on its own, it could help you optimize your exercise regimen for better results.
- Workout recovery – After a rigorous workout, your body needs recovery time. While you should never push yourself past the point of exhaustion or continue exercising after sustaining an injury, ashwagandha could assist with faster and fuller recoveries post-workout. Additionally, ashwagandha may improve your sleep quality, allowing your body more time to recover and prepare for the next day.
#2 Ashwagandha May Help Support Stress Management
Life gets stressful for all of us. Studies suggest that 1 in 5 men suffer from high levels of stress, which can exacerbate issues at work and at home. Fortunately, stress management comes in a variety of forms. From prioritizing healthy activities to seeking professional help, you shouldn’t have to accept stress as part of your daily life.
You can use ashwagandha for stress support, and you could find the following aspects of ashwagandha helpful for dealing with stress in your life:
- Adaptogen properties – Frequently cited as a powerful adaptogen, ashwagandha may assist in minimizing stress when it appears. Adaptogens are organic, non-toxic plants and mushrooms associated with reducing symptoms of stress and fatigue. While they are not a substitute for traditional medical treatment, adaptogens may have a positive influence on your mental health.
- Resistance to stressors – Ashwagandha may help balance your cortisol levels which is a stress hormone. By regulating this stress hormone, you may be more resistant to potential stressors and keep your days bright, cheerful, and full of positive energy.
- Quality of life benefits – The holistic qualities of ashwagandha could have an overall effect on your quality of life. Often, stress is related to how we see ourselves and envision our day-to-day experiences. With a high quality of life, you may find yourself shrugging off former stressors and enjoying your days to the fullest.
#3 Ashwagandha May Increase Testosterone and Sexual Health
A man interested in boosting their testosterone level may find a natural support in ashwagandha. While this herb is not an active treatment for sexual health issues, you may find a positive experience when introducing ashwagandha into your diet.
Ashwagandha may assist with male sexual health in the following ways:
- Hormone balance – Recent research may suggest a relationship between a man’s testosterone level and ashwagandha. As the primary male sex hormone, testosterone can have a wide impact on your overall health and wellness. Those interested in the potential benefits of increased testosterone production could look to ashwagandha for a possible boost.
- Increased libido – Ashwagandha could have a positive effect on your vigor, stamina, and libido. Men interested in increasing libido might benefit from trying ashwagandha paired with healthy lifestyle choices, including diet and exercise, and may consider consulting with their healthcare provider for further information.
- Male fertility – Curious about the effects of ashwagandha on sexual health and sexual function? Some studies have correlated the consumption of ashwagandha with male fertility, including sperm count and sperm motility. Questions regarding family planning and fertility may require the expertise of a doctor, but ashwagandha may provide a potential avenue for increased sexual health.
#4 May Help Improve Sleep Quality
Ashwagandha may have the ability to help improve sleep quality.
In a clinical study, individuals who took ashwagandha experienced better sleep quality, fell asleep faster, and stayed asleep longer.
Another clinical study found that ashwagandha improved sleep quality for both individuals with normal sleep patterns and individuals with disrupted sleep patterns.
What Are The Potential Risks of Ashwagandha?
As a fully natural and organic herb, ashwagandha’s potential health risks are minimal. That said, it’s important to know the potential side effects of ashwagandha.
Taking too much ashwagandha is the most common reason for experiencing adverse side effects. When measuring out your daily quantity, consider sticking to these safety thresholds:10
- 1,000 milligrams (mg) to 6,000 mg of root powder
- 500 mg to 1500 mg of root extract
Additionally, the most common drawbacks associated with ashwagandha include:
- Nausea and digestion problems – At high doses, ashwagandha can have an unpleasant effect on your gastrointestinal system. You may experience mild nausea, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort due to stomach irritation.
- Sleepiness – The relaxing effects of ashwagandha may help you fall asleep faster, but if taken at the wrong time, you may experience unintended drowsiness. If you are already tired, ashwagandha may magnify your drowsiness, slowing down your day and making it difficult to complete some tasks.
- Allergies – In rare cases, ashwagandha may cause allergic reactions in some men. Allergies can spring up at any time, and if it’s your first time taking ashwagandha, you may want to try a small sample to ensure you are not allergic.
Additionally, you should avoid ashwagandha and choose an alternative medicine if you have a thyroid condition or are dealing with a major health complication. Consult with your doctor if you are currently taking any prescription medications as ashwagandha may cause a negative reaction.
Ultimately, this herb is safe for most men, and standard side effects are mild.
Starwest Botanicals: Your Source For Quality Ashwagandha
For men eager to make the most of this powerful herb, the sky's the limit. Whether you’re prepping for your workout with an ashwagandha smoothie or ending your evening with an ashwagandha capsule, the herb may provide a plethora of benefits.
If you’re looking for a reliable source for your ashwagandha, Starwest Botanicals offers unparalleled pricing, quality, and customer support.
With more than 45 years of experience in the holistic health industry, we’ve built a network of trusted and inspired wholesalers providing unrivaled oils, herbs, extracts, and more—including several forms of ashwagandha. Your satisfaction is guaranteed, so there’s no reason not to stop by the store and explore our offerings today.